Franciscan Church of Şumuleu Ciuc


Audio Guide


Schedule

Closed
See schedule

Address

Strada Szék 148, Miercurea Ciuc 530203, Romania

About

The Franciscan church of Șumuleu Ciuc is one of the most famous architectural monuments, being the most important place of pilgrimage in Transylvania.

It was built between 1804-1834 in Baroque style, following the design of Schmidt Konstantin, an architect from Târgu-Mureş. Minor works were made after 1834, the church taking its present form in 1876. Bishop Fogarassy Mihály consecrated it in 20 August 1876.

The main adornment of the church is the wondrous statue of the Mother of God, placed on the main altar of the church. The linden wood sculpture represents the Mother of God holding the infant Jesus, as described by the Book of Revelation - The Woman Dressed in Sun.

The sculpture, probably dating back to the 16th century, made of a linden trunk, painted and gilded, is the largest votive sculpture known in the world, having a total height of 227 cm.

Location

  • Șumuleu Ciuc

Photo Gallery

Similar Suggestions

The roman catholic church Saint Antony of Padua - Ciceu

Church

Roman Catholic Church of St. John the Baptist in Csíkdelne

Church

Holy Mary of God roman catholic church

Church

St. Stephen roman catholic church in Borsec

Church

Saint Ion Nepomuk church

Church