The Roman Catholic Parish Church "Sfântu Nicolae"
The Roman Catholic Church, a masterpiece of the Transylvanian church architecture from the end of the 18th century, was built on the Saint Nicholas hill, in the southeastern part of the city. The church, with its 40-meter high tower, is the most impressive monument of the city, integrating organically in its landscape.
In the 13th century, there was probably a church in the place where the church and the parochial house were built between 1788 and 1793, and its priest Stephanus was also mentioned in the papal papers of 1333.
The medieval parochial church suffered serious damage during the invasion of the Turks in 1661, and its condition degraded even more during the 18th century.
Arches and pillars separate the main nave of the church from the two side naves where we find the sacristy and a small chapel. The sacristy’s doorframe is probably from the medieval church. The statues of the main altar and the pulpit decorations are the work of Hoffmayer Simon.
Text and photo source: http://www.odorhei-turism.ro/
- Odorheiu Secuiesc